Quality Dairy Company was founded in March 1936 by Gregory J. Martin and Harvey Mack. The first store was located at 1406 South Washington Avenue. The original mission included providing bottled milk on a cash and carry basis from small milk stores. Prior to this, milk was commonly obtained by home delivery.
In 1940, Quality Dairy started producing, distributing, and selling ice cream. At the time, Quality Dairy also offered candy and gum in the stores. Dipped ice cream became available in 1969
In 1955, Quality Dairy’s ownership changed. Harvey Mack sold out to Mr. Martin who shortly after brought in 3 additional owners.
Throughout the years the Dairy Plant has made changes increasing in size and addition of new equipment.
In order to maintain our bakery program, it was necessary to build a new bakery with a 37,000 sq. ft. facility enabling us to serve our outside customers (Auntie Em’s Bakery).
Currently Quality Dairy oversees 31 stores, all but two locations have beer and wine and 15 of the locations have liquor. Eight of our locations have gasoline and 6 locations have Laundromats.
In addition to our Retail Stores, Dairy, Warehouse, State of the art Bakery and Commissary. QD has a substantial blow molding operation, QDC Plastic Container, which services the drink Industry.
Quality Dairy Headquarters
111 West Mt. Hope, Lansing
517-319-4100 – Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm